Serves 10 portions
- 100g egg yolk
- 900ml corn oil
- 40g wasabi
- 80ml lemon juice
- 6g sea salt
- 10g black pepper
- 50g white cabbage
- 50g red cabbage
- 50g red onion
- 50g carrot
- 50g spring onion
- 10 bao
- 10 softshell crab
To make the homemade mayonnaise
- Add egg yolk in a mixing bowl, slowly mix in the corn oil to emulsify to a mayonnaise.
- Note the the sauce will become quite thick, but it is ok.
To prepare the wasabi mayonnaise
- Mix together 300g of the homemade mayonnaise (above) + wasabi + lemon juice + sea salt + pepper.
- Store in the chiller.
To make the Japanese coleslaw
- Cut all vegetables in julienne (shred finely, wah in cold water to ensure crispiness).
- Defrost your softshell crab and pad the excess liquid with tissues.
- Dust your softshell crab in potato scratch and deep fry in sunflower oil at a temp of 180 C.
- Remove from the fryer and rest on tissue.
- Steam or reheat your bao then toast slightly in a frying pan.
- Mix the coleslaw with some of the wasabi mayonnaise and season it a bit with salt and pepper.
- Open the bao and add the softshell crab, make a space on one side and add one spoon of wasabi mayonnaise on top of the crispy shoftshell crab, then fill in some coleslaw and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- Serve with a wedge of lime.
- Enjoy and repeat.